Monday, May 31, 2010

Day 85 - May 31, 2010

18 miles 3 hours 19 minutes

This run could have been a disaster! I started out still nervous about my ankle, especially after just doing an 11 miler two days ago. I also got a tiny bit drunk yesterday afternoon with my Mom on our little outing to Sex and the City, and then came home and gorged on leftover pizza. Not the best pre-long run recipe. So, I did not anticipate surviving this one without being in complete agony, but it actually went surprisingly well. I was able to keep my (slow) pace steady and even, the entire way. When I was training for my first marathon in 2007, the 18 miler was the first time in my life I'd ever hit "the wall". I'd had to call Pete to pick me up, where he found me in an actual heap at a park only about a mile away from our house, unable to make it home. This time, I felt (hoped) the wall was still 8 miles away! Also, during my other two marathon training rounds in 2007/2008 I always felt horrible the last couple miles of the long runs, doing a lot of staggering, stopping, and very slow jogging. I think the slower pace is helping, and maybe the Powerbar bites?

I am not an early morning runner, and to walk in the door at 10 am (on a Monday morning, no less) with my 18 miler done for the week felt phenomenal. I spent the first nine mile loop on our regular course, listening to This American Life and Phedippedations. When I got home for a quick clothing change and Powerade pickup, the kids and Pete were just waking up and eating breakfast. The smell of pancakes after 9.5 miles....um, I pretty glad I made it back out the door, although I know Pete would not have let me quit.

I spend a lot of my time out there either cursing or thanking Pete for getting me into this mess. Today there was definitely a lot more thanking! I really am enjoying having the "big goal", although we decided we wouldn't be doing another marathon (at least until our twentieth anniversary!)

So, there is only one run longer than today's run, before the marathon. That is a thought both exhilarating - and terrifying!

No comments:

Post a Comment