Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 11 - March 18, 2010

4.0 Miles 38:51 Minutes

Today's run felt okay. My knee feels much better, and I think I am finally over my cold. Pete, on the other hand, is very congested and not feeling well. We postponed our long run until Sunday. Hopefully he will be feeling better, and we will be able to run together.

Yesterday, Pete and I took an unplanned rest day. After one too many glasses of wine and very little sleep, 4 cups of coffee and a shower just sounded a lot nicer than a short run under Missoula's gray skies. We promised ourselves we would make up for it by the end of the week. I must admit, the Vampire Weekend show was certainly worth being a few miles behind for the week. In response to my last post's question regarding if dropping everything and going down to Missoula for the show in the middle of the week was going to be worth it....well, after that show, I think I might follow every great idea that comes to me while out on a run.

On the car ride over to Missoula, Pete and I talked about the high hopes we had for the show. I was really hoping they would do something unexpected and special. I wanted to see big personalities, a cover song with their own take or twist on it, some mid-show heart wrenching solo from Ezra, or, in other words, I wanted to see something from them that I've seen from one of my other favorite bands in the past. I'll never forget Eddie Vedder's solo version of Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down", and no one can entertain the crowd like Jeff Tweedy. I wanted something similar. I did not get it. Vampire Weekend simply came out and performed their songs. There were no covers, not really any improvisation, very little talk or interaction with the crowd, but I love those songs, and it turned out, all they had to do was play them for the show to be special for me. The sound was perfect. Ezra Koenig's voice was exactly the same as the album - soft, but strong. The crowd was engaged, and I was dancing and sweating and jumping like I haven't done in ten years. Really, what more can you ask for?

As Pete and I were walking out of the show, sweaty, exhausted and happy, the guy behind us yelled out, "I love this town. I'll never leave." I looked at Pete and said something like, "Did he really just say that?" Pete just rolled his eyes at me, but it almost felt like it the comment was directed at me. Missoula will never lose its' magic for me. I'm glad we will be running the marathon there. We may need to borrow a little of the town's magic on that Sunday morning in July.

1 comment:

  1. I have been enjoying reading your blog, especially this one. I miss Missoula too and wish I could still live there somedays. I wish we could be there in Missoula to cheer you guys on! We are actually having Sean's Baptism that day, but we will still be thinking of you. I promise, promise, promise to make it out there someday soon! Keep up the good work and the running! I am very impressed!

    ReplyDelete