Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 17 - March 24, 2010

7 miles 1 hour 18 minutes

Today Pete and I ran together for the first time since November. We shared a slow, pain-free, pleasant run. It was the kind of run I pictured when I decided to run the marathon with him. We had the most intellectual and amazing conversation we've had in a while, covering everything from politics to parenting, and history to philosophy. That kind of conversation is not often a part of the daily routine for me. It sometimes seems days go by when the only thing Pete and I talk about it is scheduling and what appears on the dry erase calendar.

I have never run with anyone except Pete (with the exception of one quick run with a girlfriend one time, and that is another story). When I first starting running, Pete and I did some 8-9 milers together, back when that distance was always excruciating. We didn't do a lot of talking, especially during the second half of the run. Recently, we tackled a lot of tempo runs (and some other long runs where we would run the second half at tempo - ah the torture) together, and that is not the time for talking either.

The run gave me hope I might actually finally experience the phenomenon I've heard so much about...running with someone will help you really get to know a person on a new level and bring you closer together. Other than getting to know myself better out there, it is something I've never really experienced. I'm really looking forward to all of the time we will have running together while training for this race, and in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment