Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 3 - March 10, 2010

5 miles 49:57 minutes

I was really looking forward to running with Pete this morning, but a few inches of wet snow forced us onto the treadmill (pretty wimpy actually). Even though we ran side by side, we didn’t really run together. Today's five-mile run, was the long run of the week. It didn't really feel like a long run, because we both completed an eight miler last week, but we are sticking to the schedule. We chose a beginner program from the Runner’s World website. It is a 16-week program. The first three weeks are very easy, followed by ten tough weeks, and a three week taper. Pete and I added two easy weeks to the ten hard weeks, to make 18 weeks total. We were tempted to run six or seven today, but, knowing what is ahead, we just decided to enjoy the five miles (as much as possible, while running on a treadmill, counting each tenth of a mile, and trying to be entertained by The Price is Right).

A word on music….

Music has always been an important part of my life. I spent most of my free time in high school driving around with my friend Angie, smoking cigarettes and listening to music. In college, I spent nearly every night at Jay’s Upstairs listening to live music. After college, Pete and I spent many hours listening to music together, and I even got a lot of opportunities to listen to him play music. Now, it is hard to find the time to listen to anything other than Owen’s favorite Mamma Mia, or Sylvia’s favorite John Jacob Jingle Heimer Schmitt (although recently they have both been enjoying Vampire Weekend – much to my delight).
Now running is the time for me to listen to music. Luckily, Pete and I have a subscription to Napster, which means for a small fee each month, we can download anything into our MP3 player. Some months, 20 albums go in and out of mine. I only wish I had enough time to listen to all of the interesting and new music out there. Music is so accessible now. Remember the days when some older friend of one of your friends heard of some band and you saved up $9.99, so you could go buy the cassette, only to find it terrible (and you still pretended to like it)?
Anyway, I love talking good music, and good running music (which is different sometimes). I always love to receive music recommendations…I am picky, but I like a little of everything. Here are my current favorites….

Ryan Adams, Cold Roses – I can’t believe it took me so long to listen to him, but I’m sort of glad it did, otherwise Cold Roses would be old news to me, and I wouldn’t be enjoying it so much now. For those of you who don’t listen to him, he is usually called alt country. I’d say he is rock with a twang. My favorite is Cold Roses (second runner up is Easy Tiger). Cold Roses is perfect for a long run.

Vampire Weekend, Contra or Vampire Weekend – These guys are perfect for a tempo run. I love them. For those of you who haven’t heard them yet, Afropop is their main influence. I’ve never listened to Afropop myself, so that is probably why they sound so new and refreshing to me.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you love Cold Roses. I have been a fan of Ryan Adams since randomly picking up his Demolition disk so many years ago. I bought Cold Roses while in a garage rock phase and didn't really like it. I put it away and didn't give it another try for a year or so, until I was on a long run and was sick of everything else in my ipod. I hit play all and the next 16 miles were pure bliss. That album has since never left my ipod and is one of my favorites as well.

    ReplyDelete